Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Huh?

When the builder's representative did the pre-stake a couple of weeks ago, he suggested that the water line coming to the house from the water meter be changed from 3/4" to 1." That made sense to me. The cabin was originally built at least 50 years ago, and I doubt that the water line had been changed in that time. Our new place will be larger with more demand for water use, so it seems like a bigger pipe would serve us better. When we were at the builder's offices, one of the employees - not our sales person - said that all we had to do was call the water company and they would replace the line and just add it to our bill. That didn't sound right to either Terry or me - normally utility companies do not want anything to do with what is on the property owner's side - but I thought it was worth checking into. 


I called the water company this afternoon, explained what we needed to do, and asked if they could do the work. Not surprisingly, they said that the water line from the meter to the house is our responsibility.


That is not the perplexing part...


The young man that I spoke to said that there would just need to be an adapter added to connect the new line to the old meter. That made me start thinking...so I asked what size the opening was on the meter that the pipe connects to and found out that it is 3/4." So, the obvious question is:


 "Why do we need a 1" pipe if the opening at the meter is only 3/4"?


Hmmm. No answer yet...stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment